Thursday, September 26, 2013

I VOTED 4 You! ~ School Board Security Guard told me I wasn't allowed to attend the meeting you held today.

Dear School Board Member for the district/area I live in,

I've been thinking about a situation that happened to me today. This morning I actually had the spare-time to volunteer of my time to attend. I want you to know that when I was greeted by my first name before I was even to the School Board Security Desk this morning, it surprised me. I was there inquiring about the meeting you were having, at first the security guard said what meeting? ...and then said, "I wasn't allowed to attend that meeting." 

She was told, to not allow me access to your meeting.

I voted for you, yet I am not allowed to sit in on a new ESE work-group you've been putting together...not just as a "listener only". Why? 

School Board Member, I VOTED for you and I told my friends to VOTE 4 You too! 

Is it because I REFUSE to give up My Membership and My Voting Rights to the Broward ESE Advisory for Parents in order to be allowed access to your next ESE Work group? 

Why would I turn my back on a group I've attended and have been an active part of for so long? You want members to give up their Membership, ultimately giving up My Voting Rights to our school districts parent led ESE Advisory for the past 13 YEARS!? 

Over the years, my daughter has almost always attended with me, beginning when she was just 2 years old. She was so young, she wasn't even ENROLLED in any Broward Public school yet. Together my daughter and I found ESE Family Support at those ESE Advisory meetings. School Board Member, my daughter has been attending all those meetings along side with me for the past 13 years too...it's been OUR SUPPORT all these years!! 

Today is her 15th Birthday! She announced it at the end of the meeting! *She loves an opportunity to 'self advocate' or public speak. She was so incredibly happy to stand up and announce to the whole room that it would be her 15th Birthday today!

WOW!!! So I VOTE 4 You...yet you won't allow me to attend an ESE Work group you're putting together? Bet you know I have a daughter with Down syndrome and I LIVE in your District. I am one of your district/area families...yes I am one of your constituents in your District! 

I'm not sure what's to be gained or WHO will gain from your 'selective' work group. By only allowing certain people...and 2 of them don't LIVE in 'the neighborhood' even. 

Thought the creation of your work-group meetings was about pulling together your area families and creating a 'ESE Work Group' for and families from the district or area of Broward County that you represent. 

I Voted for you...and you barred me from being a Parent Volunteer to which you were seeking ESE Parents to sit on a New ESE Work group you have put together.

Signed,

Disappointed 4 sure! 

No comments: