Wednesday, January 23, 2013

PARENT INVOLVEMENT ~ I CARE ABOUT MY CHILD'S EDUCATION!

PARENT INVOLVEMENT has become more like a cat & mouse game of "EMAIL TAG" with teachers and the District ESE Department!!! Not what I had in mind for being an "involved parent" this year for my daughter's first year in Middle School at all! 

If my child is not what a teacher 'went to school to teach'.....then maybe some teachers chose the wrong profession! I thought teachers went into the teaching profession to TEACH? Diversity is the real world, students are not all the same, just as teachers are not all the same. Students do not all learn the same either. If everyone was the same, how boring would our world be then? 

I just want to know what my child did in school that day and when she comes home with nothing to show what she did in most or all of her 7 classes that day....well, that CONCERNS ME GREATLY!! I am an involved and concerned parent everyday, not just when I feel like it!

Some teachers do a fabulous job of sending home and providing actual classwork my child did while in their classrooms that day. There are some teachers that have made it perfectly clear they are not enjoying having my child in their class and have also made it perfectly clear they are not wanting my PARENT INVOLVEMENT as well......I would love to say to those teachers; GET OVER IT!! 

I am an INVOLVED PARENT with my child's education everyday! Studies show when parents are involved, the student does better in school. My child is a GOOD STUDENT and I am a GOOD PARENT by being and staying involved and on top of my child's daily school work is me being INVOLVED IN MY CHILD'S EDUCATION!

How is your school year going so far? 

Here are just a few snippets of what I found on the internet pertaining why it's important and good that PARENTS are INVOLVED with their child's Education.

"It's not the only factor, but studies show that at every socioeconomic level, children with involved parents perform better in school."

"Involved doesn't just mean helping out with bake sales. Engaged parents make sure that their children don't miss school unnecessarily and that they arrive on time. They read with them, help them master their alphabet and math facts, and essentially back up what the teacher's doing when the student is home." 

"It starts with school leaders making it a point to seek out parents, to treat them as respected partners in their children's education, and if necessary, groom some of them to recruit their peers. It can't just be lip service. Everyone from principal to teachers to kitchen staff must go the extra mile and find clever ways to encourage and reward involvement."
http://www.cleveland.com/bernstein/index.ssf/2012/11/parental_involvement_in_educat.html

What Every Parent Should Know

"Researchers have been studying the effects parent attitudes and actions have on their children's academic success for more than 30 years. The results have been consistent. Anne Henderson and Nancy Berla summed it up in their book A New Generation of Evidence: The Family Is Critical to Student Achievement, which reviewed the existing research: "When parents are involved in their children's education at home, they do better in school. And when parents are involved in school, children go farther in school and the schools they go to are better."
http://www.ptotoday.com/pto-today-articles/article/399-involvement-matters-what-to-tell-parents

No comments: