Monday, April 7, 2014

My 2 calls today ~ 2 different students with Down syndrome being pinched, scratched, pulled by their backpacks to get on/off the bus.

April 7th, 2014. 

I received 2 calls since 3PM today, it's now about 5:30PM. Both calls were from two different mom's telling me their children with DS are being hurt and treated 'roughly'. One at school and one on the bus to and from school. One parent from Broward, the other parent from Palm Beach school district. I know both of these 2 children and I know these mom's and their families. One is a girl about 7 and the other a boy about 10 years old. My heart aches hearing from both of them today and what they told me. 

Do I believe what they are telling me? Absolutely I believe both of them! I am their 'go-to person', I don't hear from them very often, but when I do, it usually because they need my advice on what they should do.

One said, her son is being Pinched in the 'soft spot' under his upper arm. That there have been some unexplained scratches lately that seem to be nail scratches on his neck. 

The other mom, told me her daughter is acting a lot different and doesn't want to get on the bus like she did before. Mom asked the bus aide and the driver if something has been happening to her daughter while riding the bus. 

What can either parent do when they suspect something has happened and their child is being mistreated, hurt, pulled, pushed, scratched, pinched...etc? 

Mother's Protect your Children and Keep Them Safe!

Always follow up what you see, know and have been told with an email to your Child's school. Document what your Child communicates to you. Take pictures of any bruises, cuts, scratches, bumps etc. Request to VIEW THE TAPES from the Bus ride that day you know something may have happened. Request written accident reports when your Child comes home with unexplained marks they didn't have when they were sent to school in the morning. Take your child to the doctor to document each and every unexplained, boo-boo. Request to have a meeting with your school principal and ESE person to voice your concerns and request to view video tapes where incidents may have happened.

If you are a person that works everyday with our Children with Down syndrome, either as a classroom assistant or a 1:1 Aide or the Bus attendant on an ESE Bus, take a break and let someone else have your job if you see yourself loosing your cool and not having the patience with our Children. Protect both of you!

People that work with our children with Down syndrome on school buses and in the classrooms....please be kind and considerate to our children!!!!

School employees; Stop hurting our Children! You know who you are and what you do. STOP!!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Nancy. It's Madison's mom. We have met at various functions and events over the past few years. I was up just surfing online and I found your post and I found myself recalling the same feeling as the two parents that are going through this same thing. Last year, Madison starting lifting up my arm and pinching me underneath as well. I thought that was strange, but gave it no real thought until she started doing this more frequently. When I started to think of where she could have picked this up from, the only place was school and the only new thing that she was introduced to was her new one on one. I also noticed that when dropping her at school she was always unhappy and never wanted to go to this woman to the point of crying when I had to drop her off for school, which she never did before. Putting this all together, I called her principal and told her what I felt was going on and told her that until this person is gone, she will not be returning and that I will be reporting the my suspicions as well. This was on a Friday. Sunday night I got a call saying that she has a new one on one and that she will be fine on Monday.
I'm still so new at this, but I will say this, listening is not only something that is done with ones ears. I listen to my daughter by watching and noticing everything she does. I've been doing this since she was born, and here it is seven years later, and I am still doing it.

I know how those mothers feel, but they have found the right person to call for assistance. I don't know if this gets any easier, but I do know that I have far more good days than I do bad ones.