Friday, February 10, 2012

Many TITLE 1 (high-poverty) schools shortchanged in Broward County

My daughter attends a Title 1 School....'qualifies' for SES=Supplemental Education Services aka TUTORING. She also recently started attending the afterschool FCAT CAMP last week.....funded by ??...not sure....my principal hasn't let me know how that afterschool program is being funded. I call the Title 1 office today to ask about Title 1 FUNDS and how they are suppose to be used at my daughters elementary school ~ Stephen Foster Elementary...I was referred to the Parent Involvement Liasion, who will get back to me.

I see this inequality with my own eyes at my own daughters school and from PARENT-to-PARENT even....especially if you are a parent to a child in the ESE program AND ATTENDS a Title 1 school. 


My child attends a Title 1 school, she is on REDUCED LUNCH AND is a SWD=Student with Disabilities, she has a 253 MATRIX to pay for her Special Education. I think there is some funding to help her with her education at this school. Well....at least there should be, ya think?


I am involved in my 2 children's education, I attend their IEP's, I send them to 'extra academic help camps'. I need collaborative communication with their schools. It's work, it's hard work. I work full time at making sure both my children (and others) are getting a good education via the Public school system here. I am proud of both my children's accomplishments, I am an involved parent.


Read today's article that hits home to me today about the inequality that goes on within many districts I'm sure, but this article is about BROWARD PUBLIC SCHOOLS today. 

Many high-poverty schools shortchanged in Broward County
Click the link above to read the entire article.


No comments: