Thursday, October 1, 2009

Subject: Benson still not in school yet

From: BENSON'S MOM
Sent: Wed., Sept. 30, 2009 3:50 PM
To: nancy.harris@dsadvocate.com
Subject: Benson still not in school yet

Hi Nancy
I would like to express my frustration to you regarding this ridiculous time Benson is out of school, because seems that the county doesn't care. He is the one that suppose be in kindergarten and what I see is people from broward county schools acting like kindergartners and try to blame you and you are the only person that is trying to help us from their nonsense, like she say, he say, I have a date for his meeting, no I don't have a date, when I called Ms. Bennett most of the time I hear she is busy or in a meeting, what is that? Where are the professionals they should see that this is not right.

I am not asking for anything that they don't know that is what the law specific says A CHILD SHOULD BE IN THE LESS RESTRICT ENVIRONMENT. I know they have a lot schools to deal with, but it has been 5 almost 6 weeks that Benson is out of school and nobody cares.

When he was at Ann Storck Preschool and I question the reason for him to be in summer school extended year, they told me he could not be without school for this long period of time, that he would only benefit from that, they tell me how important was for him to be that extra month in school so he would be ready for kindergarten and bla, bla, bla, and now it is ok for him to sit at home without any "professional instruction?" That is another reason I am fed up with special programs, they just talk and say how important and beautiful the program is. Do you want to know how many times I go to any of those special schools and my son was sitting there by himself without any activity? why? they don't care, the kid can't tell the parents anyways right? Once when I questioned them they told me he didn't want to participate on the activity, ok so where was the professional that he deeply need as it says in the IEP to use their knowledge, and get him involved. What any of the regular kindergarten can't offer him more than a special cluster could? What services and care does Benson need that can not be achieved in a regular kindergarten? I been asking this question in those IEP meetings since he starts and nobody can answer me. After a while I realize this is the way it works: well the kid doesn't want to participate for whatever reason so leave him alone there doing something else. There is no effort from anyone at all.

Where is the one on one they talk about when they first meet you? Where are the experienced with our special kids? Where is the beauty of those programs? I don't need a babysitter Benson, I want a place for my son to learn, to have good role models, a place where he feels comfortable staying and I feel comfortable leaving him. Not a place where I see him everyday losing good skills, getting odd behaviors, being sad and withdrawn.

And for people to say they have very busy schedules to make a meeting to put him in school it is nonsense, they are just postpone and denying his rights to do and be a little kid in a regular kindergarten school and for me this is discrimination. Thank you Nancy for helping me, you have my permission to put this on your blog about my son.

No comments: