Saturday, February 14, 2009

Bradley's name was NOT on the list...

Bradley's name was NOT on the list....
My grandson, Bradley, is an awesome kid. He brings great joy into my life. He is eight years old, attends first grade and he just happens to have Down syndrome. Today his mother and I attended his class Valentine's Party. When I arrived after her, I could tell his mother was very upset. She leaned over and showed me that he had only received three Valentines and also shared that when she arrived his teacher said that she (the teacher) had passed out all his valentines for him. Bradley also did not receive a bag of goodies that had been put together by the classroom mom. Bradley was very excited about the party---just like all the other children.

My daughter talked to a couple of the other mothers and found out that Bradley's name was not on the list that was sent home. The class list was not sent home with Bradley or my daughter would have caught the error. My daughter got a list of students from the school web site so she could help Bradley prepare his Valentines. His name was on that list. I know his teacher personally so I called her tonight with my daughter's permission. She said, "it was an accident"---"someone must have interrupted me when I was typing it"---she said this very matter-of-factly and without feeling. She said she was sorry it happened. She also said that she passed out Bradley's Valentines because "he was out of the classroom when the children exchanged cards."

What do you think the teacher should do? Anything? I don't want to be petty, but this is a Child. It would bother me if it happened to any child. Thank you for sharing your ideas. Bradley seemed to handle it okay, but his speech is very limited, and my daughter was too upset to stay for the whole party. I ran to the parties of two other grandchildren.
Jeanne - Bradley's Grandma

*The above story is a TRUE STORY that was just emailed to me by a friend that is in contact with this family. Permission to post full story here has been granted by Grandma. *(Names have been changed)

Please post your comment here on this blog and let it be known how YOU would react if you were Bradley's mother or grandmother and this happened to someone YOU LOVE ON VALENTINE'S DAY!?!?

Personally....
I feel this teacher is an uncaring idiot and acted shamefully and needs to know that what she pulled off will NOT GO UNOTICED or tolerated by those we entrust our Children to everyday at our schools! Teachers if you are reading this...and you have 'an attitude' towards any of your students which are our precious Children...WAKE UP and get it together and BE RESPECTFUL towards each and everyone of your students! Shame on some you for the attitudes you have towards our "babies!!"

2 comments:

Mary Pringle said...

My heart sank reading your post. I agree with expressing your
experience not only with the Principal but his boss, secondary
operations is who they are called here, and your ESE Director.

I have found since I met with some of the decision makers, life has
gotten many doors open for my children. I am always kind and
informative. I educate them of their ignorance's in a nice way as my
friend calls it...

Our experience with my son who is in general education over 50% of
his day was just the opposite in first grade yesterday. His book bag
was so full from not only his class but many others on campus who
just love him. (He is a handful too) When I went to Walmart last
week not one but two boys in the community yelled for him to notice
them. One a high five and some sort of boyish hip bounce showing
they have regular contact as friends in school. Their "handshake"
this is what needs to be for our kids...just being kids.. I share
all these type situations with my "higher ups" so they understand my
vision of INCLUSION. I do want my children to read, learn about the
world math and all but most important to me is that they have
friendships, know how to build friendships and are able to live in
their community like you and I. What good is their life if they
read, do math and have no friends or do not know how to get along
with their peers out in the community..

I think the real eye opener for me was letters given to me a few
years ago about what my child taught the general education students
during the year for being 100% in their class.. the post is very
long because all the students wrote to me. If this is OK to post I
will. It is a clear message to EVERYONE that when open communication
is in place from the authorities...Principals to teachers, teachers
to students about the gift of having our kids included then it works
like a new flower blossoming. AND the letters I got prove it beyond
any question.

I pray your little man gets the same...Act on this as your grounds
for change.

Hugs, Mary

I do blog our family life through:
pringleadoptionjourney.blogspot.com

Keithslady said...

I read that this story had a "happy ending" (although it never should have happened in the first place, of course). However, the family dealt with it beautifully and were able to educate and hopefully prevent such a situation from occurring again. It takes patience as well as determination to fight ignorance.

But, make sure that you hold yourself to the same standards that you would hold others. If you want to be respected, be respectful. Calling the teacher an "idiot" in counterproductive and shows that you may be in need of some of the same education you are prescribing. It just really jumped out at me because using that word is an absolute no-no in our home, we treat others with respect not only if they deserve it, but because we are to be the kind of people who respect others.